Friday, June 27, 2008

book club

Looking to fill up more time during my last free weeks of summer, I am looking through open courseware and came across "media in cultural context: popular readerships"

I had read about the forced selling of the oldest book club company in Europe a few weeks ago. And have been looking at the forms of the future of the book as well as the idea of readership as a strongly defined group. I have always been less precious and selective with my time when reading. I feel guilty watching tv, but never reading even if it is trash. this is odd when you think about it. Just recently I spent almost two whole days reading a novel about a circus which I don't remember the name of. My boyfriend's father just happened to have it sitting on a table and I picked it up. Two days fly by and then I am back with seemingly nothing gained. Should I be more selective about reading?

random things that may not be interesting:
In 2005, the readings of Oprah's book club were: the infamouse James Frey book, and three Faulkner novels.
Oprah's entire bookclub listing is included in the course's resources. Also essays like:"Pain and Circuses" from Oprah Winfrey and the Glamour of Misery. I can't wait to read this.

No comments: